The benefits of natural light are undeniable. It can improve sleep, provide a mood boost, and act as a seasonal depression cure for many people. But not everyone knows how to reap these rewards through the lighting in their home, which is why The Solar Guys created a list of solar light hacks to help!
No matter where you live, you can introduce better lighting into rooms throughout the house whether it’s natural light or standard lighting. These solar light hacks will allow you to make your space brighter, whether you live in a dark forest or on a sunny hillside.
- Remove the shades from lamps. It is a small approach that makes a big difference. When a lamp absolutely needs a cover, choose one that will let the light shine through. White and beige lampshades are the best option and a necessity in dark rooms.
- Add mirrors to the room. Mirrors are an essential design piece as they both enlarge and enlighten a space. The best way to place them is in view of other metal objects or windows in the home. This way, any reflective or natural light from other pieces will show in the mirror. It creates a bright effect that can make your home feel more open.
- Arrange greenery to let light in the house. Ivy, bushes, and trees can block the sun from getting in. Strategically plant and trim these outdoor accents so that they are not in the way of windows.
- Change the color scheme. Picking a lighter paint color is a great way to brighten up a room. This is especially important for rooms with little natural light. With a lighter “canvas,” any sunlight that does shine in will bounce off the walls rather than being absorbed by darker colors. If you do add colors, use them for accent walls.
- Stage furniture to highlight any windows. You can use windows to frame the layout of a room. Arrange chairs, beds, couches, etc. underneath and next to the room’s natural lighting source. This draws attention to the light, making the area appear brighter than if the furniture is staged against a dark backdrop.
- Clean your windows regularly. Having clean windows can greatly improve the flow of light. Even if the glass doesn’t appear to be exceptionally dirty, you should make sure to clean them at least once a month.
Install a Skylight
If the above solar light hacks do not illuminate your space to your liking, a skylight is a minimally invasive way to get the job done. If you are thinking about installing a solar light in your home, there is no better option than the Solatube® Daylighting System.
A Solatube® skylight collects light through a dome device on the exterior of your house. Then, it filters out UV rays and heat to provide only the best and brightest sunlight possible. These systems are the best option on the market and are more cost-effective than traditional skylight and window installations.
At The Solar Guys, we service many areas within the state of Florida. Our team has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and it has successfully helped tens of thousands of customers since 2001. Contact us today to schedule a skylight installation or to learn more about our solar lighting solutions.